E-mobility plays a key role in reducing carbon dioxide emissions, contributing to the greater penetration of Renewable Energy Sources (RES) into the energy mix. At the same time, it leads to the reduction of emissions and noise pollution caused by transportation and upgrades the quality of life in cities.
HEDNO, responding to the call of the times, supports the electrification of transportation and the energy transition. HEDNO’s main role in E-Mobility is to:
- Provide transparent and impartial access of all E-mobility users to the Electricity Distribution Network
- Define the conditions for connecting Electric Vehicle Recharge Infrastructure to the Distribution Network. Users can digitally submit applications for connecting Recharge Infrastructure to the Distribution Network.
- Support Municipalities to implement their Charging Plans for Electric Vehicles
- Define technical requirement for the recharging infrastructure of electric vehicles in public places. The connection to the Distribution Network is implemented underground for safety and aesthetic reasons. HEDNO’s metering devices can be installed inside the charger of the electric vehicle, in order not to occupy additional space on the pedestrian area.
- Support public transportation organizations to determine their new needs for connection to the Distribution Network arising from the electrification of their vehicle fleet.
- Plan the optimal integration of E-Mobility in the Distribution Network and the maximization of RES use. HEDNO participates in various European research projects in the fields of energy, E-mobility and information technology, which are related to issues of intelligent networks. The object of study is the management of electric loads as a source of flexibility (flexible load & V2G) at the local level in order to maximize the penetration of RES in the energy mix as well as the optimal management of the Distribution Network.
- Support of the “Smart & Sustainable Island” program, implemented by the Hellenic State and the VW group, in Astypalea in matters related to the Distribution Network. At the same time, synergies of the Smart & Sustainable Island program and the Special Pilot Project of Astypalea are planned, which includes the implementation of a Hybrid Station (RES and storage system). The study of the Special Pilot Project in Astypalea was adjusted in order to ensure the supply of electric vehicles exclusively from RES.
- Adopt the use of E-Mobility by HEDNO. In this context, the gradual electrification of the corporate fleet is planned with the main concern being the reduction of the carbon footprint of HEDNO and the support of the development of the electricity market in Greece.