MV/HV Substation Control Units (Underground MV network Substation)
As mentioned above, the modern trend towards improving energy quality indicators necessitates the automation of the MV network. In underground MV networks, automation includes:
- MV switchgear remote control
- Remote monitoring of installed equipment (load switches, underground cables, metering equipment, safety equipment).
Appropriate Remote Terminal Units (RTUs) are used for the above operations. RTUs are installed on MV/HV Substations and are suitable for:
- Remote control of the installed load switches by the appropriate Network Management Center with simultaneous monitoring of their condition
- Monitoring the condition of other Substation equipment
- Short Circuit Current Recognition (fault passage indicator mode)
- Receiving power measurements from underground cable lines and transmitting them to the appropriate control center
- Receiving voltage measurements
- Communication between RTU for automated execution of operations to isolate a fault in the underground network or in combination with a DMS (Distribution Management System) for reorganizing the network in order to reduce technical loss without causing a nuisance to network users.
Due to their multiple capabilities, the installation of Remote Control Units is useful because it:
- Reduces the necessary time for repowering customers after an outage or scheduled work which results in improving the performance indicators in supplying electricity to network users (SAIDI, SAIFI, etc.)
- Carries out network redeployments (supplying network users from a different point in the network in order to reduce their technical losses and strain on their components (conductors, switches, etc.)
The usual results of the above are as follows:
- Compliance with the rules set by the Regulatory Authority for Energy (Regulatory Decision)
- Reduced cost of Undistributed Energy. The cost of Non-Distributed Energy is the cost incurred in the National Economy [€/kWh] for each kWh demanded by consumption which cannot be disposed by the Network
- Reduced amount of investment to improve the Network.
HEDNO is carrying out the installation of a significant number of Remote Control Units in MV/HV Substations after conducting a study in order to identify the Substations in which installing these units will have the optimal technical and economical result.